Updated recipe from 2017
I’ve been working on this Lemon Bar recipe ever since I googled “lemon bars” a year ago and found a bunch of not-quite-what-I-want recipes.
Here are Lemon Bars in just a few steps, with ingredients that are in every pantry, and a measurable amount of lemon juice vs. the imprecise “juice of X lemons” I encountered in many recipes.
Most important, here is a Lemon Bar recipe with a lot of tart lemon curd along with the delicious buttery crust.
This recipe is for lemon lovers who want more curd and a decadent citrus experience. Use a 9×11 or 9×13 pan.
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 eggs eggs (if XL drop to 5)
- 2 1/4 cups sugar (this can go down to 2 cups if desired)
- 3/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (this can be anywhere from 4-8 lemons)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- zest of 1-2 lemons
- Blend these ingredients together until you have a bread crumb texture.
- Press the crust into the bottom of a 9×11 or 9×13 pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 F for 20-25 minutes, until there is a hint of brown.
- Whisk together all the curd ingredients (zest can go last with a spoon for mixing, as it will tangle in the whisk.)
- Pour the lemon curd over the hot baked crust.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake an additional 20 minutes. There may be a little jiggle when you take the pan out of the oven but it will solidify as it cools.